31 Aug Improve Profitability and Performance with Employee Scheduling Software
In the absence of effective employee scheduling software, the task of creating, adjusting and managing employee schedules can be a constant and very time consuming burden on organizations (i.e., costly), and particularly for the managers charged with accommodating countless deviations. If you’re still managing schedules through spreadsheets, paper trails, semi-automated or outdated software, you have a tremendous amount to gain in productivity, reducing labor costs and compliance by adopting a modern employee scheduling solution.
Ultimately, when “life happens” unexpected changes create a significant administrative cost while also increasing wages and overtime expenses. However, with an employee scheduling software solution, many of these and other related issues are resolved.
Matching up employee availability, skill sets, overtime considerations, service coverage, compliance policies and other factors can be overwhelming… to a point where it’s simply not well managed and the administrative cost is far higher than necessary. Semi-automated systems often result in overstaffing, urgent fixes, increased labor costs and less-than-ideal outcomes.
But with high-quality information and automation at the fingertips of managers, schedulers and the organization, now employers can conveniently and quickly align schedules, budget targets, optimal productivity, and compliance.
Better Retain Employees with Scheduling Software
Automating employee scheduling is a win for employers and managers, but what’s not so obvious, is it’s also a big win for employees. Perhaps the most immediate benefit of a staff scheduling solution is for managers… the ability to cut countless hours from the scheduling run-around. This includes simplifying the process of (A) creating schedules, (B) identifying the availability and preferences of employees (C) identifying suitable replacements when employees drop a shift based on criteria, and many other processes. This translates to benefits for managers primarily. But for employees, gaining flexibility and control can be a major work-related benefit as well.
Retaining employees has an incredible financial impact on your organization. For employees, one of the most sought after perks from an employer is flexibility in hours and/or scheduling. But offering flexibility comes at an administrative cost. While offering flexibility has not always been feasible for employers, it’s made far more manageable and cost-effective through scheduling automation. By simplifying the process between managers and employees, organizations are able to offer more to employees without the typical increase in administrative cost or loss in performance. This can be a tremendous benefit to leverage in recruitment, retention and maintaining positive culture for organizations.
Other Benefits of Automated Scheduling
Keeping labor costs under control without negatively impacting performance requires the right tools. Avoiding understaffing, overstaffing and excessive overtime is just part of the equation. Here are some additional benefits of a modern employee scheduling software:
- Automated alerts notify you when schedules exceed budget limits so you can make appropriate adjustments to keep labor costs in check.
- Automatically sort through employees based on predefined criteria, including availability preferences, skills, certifications, company policies, union rules, state and federal labor laws, and more.
- Drag-and-drop usability to assign shifts. Split or swap shifts with a single click or select multiple shifts to edit side by side.
- Know when scheduling actions violate established rules, enabling you to make changes and stay in compliance.
- Employees view their schedules from a desktop computer or an Apple®, Android™, or Windows® mobile device for maximum flexibility and convenience.
- Managers have on-demand access to schedules from their desktops or mobile devices, simplifying how they keep tabs on staffing coverage from anywhere, at any time.
- View coverage maps to quickly pinpoint open shifts that still need to be filled.
- Examine budget-versus-actual reports to identify areas of overspend.
Employee scheduling software has a significant impact on profitability, productivity and how your employees work each day. Few tools can improve workforce efficiency and reduce costs as a scheduling solution. When this solution is integrated with other critical aspects of the Human Capital Management (HCM) suite, such as timekeeping, payroll, HRIS, benefits, and more… it becomes a tremendous financial asset to the organization. Contact an HCM specialist at Payroll Link to learn more.